Welcome to another edition of Thursday Thirteen.
This week, I thought it might be fun to share some of the songs on my beloved iPod. (I just realized I use the word beloved a LOT here on the blog. I’ll try to watch that in the future.) If you have the time to waste, you should totally go check out these songs on iTunes, You Tube or any other method you can think of.
For those of you who don’t know about the awesomeness of the iPhone, can I just say that it. is awesome. I knew it was awesome the second I took it out of the box and swiped my finger across the screen. Then, I found the TOOBZ app, the tip app and the iPod. Folks, I had no idea it was also an iPod. After I played with it for about 19 days, I figured out that yes, indeed, I could probably figure this thing out and yes indeed, it is even more awesome than what I first thought.
I say all that to say, the title up there should say “Random songs on my iPhone.”
I didn’t mean to go and get all technical on you. I just thought I needed to keep it real. Not to mention I like saying ‘keep it real!’
I’ve often compared my blog to a bag of trial mix. You never know if you’ll get the big, nasty, oblong nut or the few and far between M&M.
My iPod is pretty similar to that, although I do like all the songs on the playlist, there are some I enjoy more than others. It’s a pretty eclectic mix.
Okay, off we go.
I’m am shuffling the 287 songs as I type this….
1. AMAZING GRACE by Selah- First can I just say if you have never listened to Selah, by all means you go out on the world wide web and find a song by them right this very second. I’ll wait right here on ya. They actually have a blog where you can find a sample of their new album, You Deliver Me which happens to be where I am right now. (BTW – I love Standing On The Promises!)
I first heard Selah at a funeral for a dear friend of mine. They played Just a Closer Walk With Thee by Selah and I was immediately moved by their version. It quickly became one of my favorite songs. I downloaded Amazing Grace shortly after that. Love, love, love this song.
2. NASTY by Janet Jackson- Flashback from the 80′s. This song reminds me of my years in Junior High. I twirled a baton many a time to Nasty. Those Jacksons sure know how to do some music.
3. TAKE YOU BACK by Jeremy Camp – My absolute favorite song (maybe of all time) from Jeremy Camp is There Will Be A Day. My 2nd favorite song of his is Take You Back. It is a wonderful reminder that no matter what He will always TAKE US BACK.
4. EMOTIONS by Mariah Carey- I love anything by Mariah Carey. Her range is unmatched by most and the 107 hits she had in the 90′s could be best described as the bomb. (Am I too old to say ‘the bomb?’) She has an amazing set of pipes.
5. I’LL MAKE LOVE TO YOU by Boyz II Men – Those boys can sang. I still love them even after all these years. Remember the way those 4 Philly boys wore matching clothes and that one guy wore the sunglasses and they sometimes wore hats. I think they made a come-back but I heard something about one of them being ill, so they cameback as a trio instead of a quartet. I spent a many a night on the phone with McDaddy with BoyzII Men singing soulfully in the background reminding me of why I loved being in love.
6. YOUR EYES DON’T LIE by David Archuleta- I’m not sure if this song has ever been released (I typically listen to KLOVE in my van) but I LOVE this song. It has such a great beat and it makes me dance. Oh, and did I mention that I loved David Archuleta. I still say he got cheated on American Idol. It’s not that I didn’t like David Cook. I did like him and I thought he was very talented, its just that I voted for cutie David Archuleta from the beginning. This song makes me happy.
7. I’LL BE MISSING YOU by Puff Daddy (Tribute to the Notorious B.I.G.) - Wow. This song brings back some memories too. Not because I was a big fan of Notorious B.I.G. but because I just really liked this song. It now reminds me of someone else I miss a whole lot.
8. REDEEMER – Nicole C. Mullen – Two words. Power. House. This song is so moving. I actually saw Nicole perform this song in person at a Women of Faith conference. I guess the whole ’I actually saw Nicole’ makes it seem as if we go to Starbucks together before hitting the mall. The truth is, I was one woman in a group of about 12,000, so yeah, me and Nicole are pretty tight. Anyway, I was so moved by the lyrics. This song makes me want to praise Him right where I am.
9. LOVE SONG – Sara Barelilles – Such a cute song with a great beat. A great be-bop song for cleaning or trudging through some mundane task.
10. CALL MY NAME – Third Day – The lead singer from Third Day has a raspy voice that I love. You can’t go wrong with a Third Day song.
11. I CAN LOVE YOU LIKE THAT – All-4-One- Awww, I remember this song. It brings back so many memories of my college days. Me and McDaddy were madly in love at that time and so this song reminds me of him.
12. OH HAPPY DAY - BeBe Winans - This song starts out kinda slow but if you give it about 28 seconds it will break into an all out party. This song makes me dance like a crazy person. It’s a great song with a great message with a great beat. I wish this blog had some audio on it.
13. REMEMBER THE TIME – Kris Allen – (Not to be confused with Remember The Time by Michael Jackson). Sweet mercy, I have missed Kris Allen. This was one of his best American Idol songs. I cannot wait until his album comes out. And, I also can’t wait for the next season of AI. Is it January yet? Seriously, this cat is super talented and this is one of my favorite Idol songs to come out of last season.
Wow, this was so much fun. Let’s shake it up and do one more.
14. (I’ve Had) THE TIME OF MY LIFE – Bill Medley and Jennifer Warner – Seriously, what are the chances of this song coming up on thisday? Dirty Dancing is my all-time favorite movie. I have watched that final scene about 4,732 times and am pretty sure I could pull it off if asked to. Triple love this song. R.I.P. Patrick Swayze – thanks for the memories, man.
It is interesting to note that Mariah Carey came up on four different occasions. Open Arms, I’ve Been Thinking About You, and Forever were skipped over because I had a one-song-per-artist-limit. And yes, that rule is perfectly allowable because this is my blog andmy rules. I just found it odd that out of 287 songs, Mariah Carey came up that many times. It is also interesting to note that somehow every single Casting Crowns song on my iPod somehow got removed. Sadly, I removed them from iTunes, so that means I need to track down McDaddy’s collection of CDs and put them back on the iPod. Sheesh, I can be dangerous with a gadget.
Enjoy your Thursday, y’all.