Today is my favorite day of the year.
It is the day that I say goodbye alarm clock and HELLO
Don’t get me wrong. I’ve been emotional today thinking that I am old enough to have a fourth (4th!) grader. But, at the end of the day (like RIGHT now), all I can think about is the fact that I don’t have to set an alarm to get my hind-end up out of bed at the butt-crack of dawn.
In fact, the butt-crack of dawn is dead to me.
Until, August anyway.
It’s been a crazy, busy day. I worked at the school all day (I’m the PTA Treasurer and the end of year means lots of reimbursements and receipts) and enjoyed visiting the boys in their classrooms to take end of the year pictures with teachers and friends. After school, we stopped at Wendys for Frostys to celebrate the last day of school, and of course Stevie and his best buddy concocted a plan for him to spend the night with us. I made them promise that they would not wake
the beast me before 9:00 AM unless they are bleeding or dying.
After dinner, I reported for duty at the ballfield to fulfill my parental obligation in the concession stand. It was a slow night, and plus it was 108 degrees in there.
But enough about that, because summer is right around the corner, and really I should be enjoying the 75 degree days, because here in just a few days, the heat will no doubt join its BFF humidity and unleash its wrath on the unsuspecting people of West Virginia. In fact, its supposed to be 96 friggin degrees this weekend. Which is about 15 degrees hotter than my ideal temperature.
I intend to find a comfortable air-conditioned place to wait it out.
In the meantime, here are a few thoughts rolling around in my brain.
1. I have a serious case of heartburn. In fact, I’ve had bad heartburn for the past month. The last time I experienced heartburn, I was pregnant. The only eggs I want to talk about right now are the ones you scramble in a skillet.
2. I have committed to watching The Bachelor this season. Mainly because Emily is a West Virginia girl, but also because the summer television lineup usually stinks, and you have to take entertainment where you can get it.
3. I am so happy that Phillip Phillips (or as I call him P-Squared) won American Idol last night. He is so unique and talented. I’m happy for him. I love that he cried and walked off of the stage to hug his mama.
4. I am sick of hearing people use the word epic. Most things are NOT epic.
5. Same thing for the phrase, “I know, right?”
6. The iPad functions as a Kindle. I realize I’m probably the last person in the free world to know this.
7. My ‘eczema of the inner ear” is slowly driving me insane.
8. I have, somehow, managed to buy the noisiest hamster cage on the planet.
9. Did I mention I won’t be setting an alarm tonight?
10. Since report cards had to be turned in on Monday, what was the purpose of the last three days of school?
At this point, who cares?
Summer, here we come!