A few nights ago McDaddy and I were getting ready for bed and going about our nightly routine when Alex came into our room with his blanket and pillow and began making a bed in the floor beside of our bed.
I explained that he was welcome to sleep there that night, but that he wouldn’t be able to do that every night because his bed is much more comfortable
and because I might trip over him when I get up for my 3AM pee break. Less than two minutes later, Stevie and his friend Levi (who frequently spends the night in our home) came into our room and before Stevie could get three words out, Alex began to cry as he begged Stevie “not to tell on him.”
After a five-minute dissertation from Stevie, we learned that Alex injected himself with his EpiPen to demonstrate what it is used for.
I am one of the most over-protective mothers I know. Still, some of the craziest things happen to our boys.
- At five years old, Stevie swallowed a penny.
- At three years old, Alex fell into a cactus at a friend’s house.
- At two, Stevie fell off of the couch and passed out after a crying fit.
And now, at six years old, after FIVE years of never having to use one EVER, Alex decides to demonstrate how to use an EpiPen, choosing to INJECT the thing directly into his leg.
McDaddy and I looked at one another in shock.
We decided to call a nurse friend of ours even though it was 11:30 at night. She suggested that we take his pulse, and it seemed normal. She then suggested that we watch for nausea, dizziness, vomiting and rapid heart rate.
- Me and my control-freak nature then decided to call his pediatrician, who then suggested that we call poison control.
Here’s what I learned:
1. An expired EpiPen is much weaker than a fresh one.
2. Unless you actually need an Epinephrine injection, injecting the EpiPen into the finger is more dangerous than injecting it into the leg, because it is a smaller area, and because it is closer to the heart.
3. It is always better to give the EpiPen when not needed, than to NOT give the EpiPen when it is needed.
4. It is necessary to review EpiPen rules with your six-year-old frequently.
5. According to the fella at poison control, injecting an Epipen accidentally can cause serious problems, such as, racing heartbeat, sudden or severe headache, sudden numbness or weakness, feeling like you might pass out, wheezing, trouble breathing, chest pain or sudden problems with vision, speech or balance.
6. And lastly, if your child requires medication at their school, it is a good idea to stop in from time to time to check the expiration date on that medication.
Now, what did YOU learn this week?
For complete carnival rules, click here.
1. Any time this week, publish your What I Learned This Week post on your blog.
2. Within that post, please mention the What I Learned This Week carnival and link back to this post here at From Inmates To Playdates. If you don’t know how to link, feel free to ask me.
3. Then link up with Mr. Linky down below.
4. Visit the other participants and see what they learned this week. Then leave a comment because comments are fun!