A Heavy Topic

Ok.

*taking a breath*

When I made the decision to compete in the local Biggest Loser Challenge, I hesitated about mentioning it here on the blog.

First, there was the possibility that I might not lose any weight at all, which would make me a whole nother level of LA-OOSER.

Secondly, this woman hates to talk about their weight.

And lastly, well, I think you’ll agree that the internet is a pretty big stage.

If I had the guts, I would simply type out

THE THREE NUMBERS

that have haunted me since I weighed in on Saturday here on the blog and go on about my bloggy business.

I might also attach a before picture.

And believe me, I really want to do that.

But, the truth is, I am embarrassed.

It’s not like the whole world can’t look at me and make a pretty good guess as to what I weigh. I like that idea a lot better than having the information in black and white for the whole world TO KNOW though. So, I’ll continue plugging away at THESE THREE NUMBERS and perhaps I’ll reveal them one day when the number is smaller.

Or when I look like Jennifer Garner.

Until then, I will embrace the phrase made famous by my friend Anita Renfroe, if you can’t lose it – decorate it!

And if you know me in real life, you know that I totally do this! I wear bling all over. Even on my butt.

So, if you came here looking for THE THREE NUMBERS, I’m sorry to I will not be posting those. If you came here to cheer me on and encourage me during this journey, I want you to know that I appreciate you! Accountability can be a wonderful motivator (just ask any of the 11 Shrinking Sunshines on the BRIGHT BRIGHT Yellow team) and I intend to be accountable here, too.

I’ve decided to provide a weekly update, here on the blog.

Hopefully, with a little bit of luck, and a lot of hard work, I’ll be able to type THREE SMALLER NUMBERS at the end of the eight-week competition on March 1st.

It was a good first week.

[Sidenote 1] Notice, I did not say great week.

I’ve made some huge changes in my daily routine, and I plan to make even more changes this week.

For starters, I’ve consumed 326 ounces of water this first week. As best as I got it figured (and Lord only knows if my math is correct) that’s about 320 ounces more than last week.

[Sidenote 2] My pee is clear as a bell.

Whatever that means.

I only ate six Lindor truffles before packing them all up in a Ziploc bag and sending them down the road.

And I am totally not kidding about the Lindor Truffles because HAVE YOU TASTED ‘EM? Especially the peanut butter ones?

I went FOUR whole days without eating anything sweet. That is a heck of an accomplishment if you know how much I love a Little Debbie. I probably could have gone five or six had it not been for the ‘mones ‘a ragin’.

[Sidenote 3] The hormones do. not. play.

And the best news of all is that I lost 2.5 pounds in one week. I had reported earlier in the week that I was down three pounds, but then the hormones and all his mean bully friends showed up this week and well, there is the bloat. So, I’ll take the 2.5 pounds and try a little harder next week.

My BIG FAT LOSER week in review looks like this:

How I lost big this week:

• I drank at least 64 ounces of water for five days and at least 30 the other two days.
  • I kept my food journal everyday and there were at least two times I didn’t eat because I didn’t want to write anything else on the list.
  • I exercised five days AND FELT SO GOOD AFTERWARD. Thank you Wii Fit!
  • I DID NOT EAT after 9PM
  • Cut WAY the heck back on my soda intake.

Goals for next week:

• Drink 64 ounces of water for SEVEN DAYS
  • Exercise SIX days for at least 30 minutes
  • Walk up and down the stairs in my house at least 5x per day whether I’m doing laundry or not
  • Eat nothing after 8:30 PM.

I’d be lying if I said I was 100% pleased with my progress this week. I could have certainly done better with water intake towards the end of the week. I started out strong, usually finishing a 20-ounce bottle in the 50 minutes before taking the kids to school in the mornings. By Thursday, I was tired of peeing. Realistically, on nights that I’m awake after midnight, I should down the first twenty ounces before going to bed. That will give me a head start, plus I won’t go to bed feeling hungry.

[Sidenote 4] If only my bladder could hold that mess till 6:40 AM without sounding the “You’re gonna pee the bed alarm”.

I am committed to being healthier.

And I am committed to sharing my Mission SLIMpossible journey, with you.

[Sidenote 4] Doesn’t that make you want to hum the James Bond theme?

I plan to kick MY THREE NUMBERS in the booty.

Any advice or encouragement you have each week will be greatly appreciated!

[Sidenote 5] Use the comment section for this.

Ready?

Set.

Go!

Comments

1. Diana Kessinger says

Julie, I enjoyed reading this and I wish you the best with your journey. I hope it motivates me to get started, as well. Good luck!:)

2. Ribena Tina says

2.5 pounds when the hormones are racing is really good Julie and I have to say I am REALLY impressed at how you have done with the soda! Being a committed Coca Cola fan as I am I know how hard it is to go cold turkey or even cut down to the amount that you have done.

I never drank water (without juice concentrate in it) until I was 32 – yes, seriously I only drank pop and juice as everything else “tasted nasty” and I lovingly remember how I suggested but my office desk in the ladies because I spent most of the day there – it did sort itself out after the first few weeks though – maybe the body does a lot of cleansing in the initial period?

My favourite Wii fit activity is the hooly hooping too (especially when I stand behind Hubby and watch him do it – hilarious) and as your fitness levels increase you will find yourself wanting to do more and more. How far is the boys school from your home – maybe a goal could be to walk there to collect them from school or walk to nearby shops?

Keep up the good work, I am sure you will see a bigger loss this week as the hormones subside.

Tina
    Ribena Tina´s last blog post ..HRT and dreams

3. Sara says

WooHoo Julie! I’m proud of you. Especially with the water…. Great Job. I need to go tally how much I had this week.

Funny thought I had the other day. I sent my sister a txt – I don’t know if the quantity of water I am taking in is helping because it flushes EVERYTHING out, or is it because I’m always walking quickly down the hall!

Way To GO!

4. Jean says

Bravo bravo!! I am so proud of you, Julie! You are an inspiration to me to drink more water. I’m excited for you. Take a picture of yourself every week in the same clothes. At the end of the 8 weeks, then YOU can see the difference, too. Love you dearly! :-)

5. Angie says

Hi, I love your blog but have not commented before. Thanks for sharing this journey with us. I too am trying to be healthier and the quote that keeps me going is “No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch.”

6. Stacy Hatfield says

Remember our crash diet before your wedding? Those were good times! I’m proud of you for working toward a healthier you! What a great example to set for your boys:) 2.5 lbs in one week is great. The experts say that if you lose more than that per week, there’s a greater chance of it coming back. So don’t stress, keep journaling and moving, find exercise you LOVE, don’t buy foods you know are bad for you, don’t deprive yourself of chocolate if you’re craving it-just have a little less than normal, and get your friends to join you! It’s way more fun! You go girl:)

7. Wendy M. says

Keep up the good work!!! A little trick I learned when I wanted to lose weight. Brush your teeth early in the evening. You will be less tempted to eat if you have clean teeth!!! Good luck with the weight loss challenge!!!

8. ERIKA says

Hugs to you Julie and congratulations on your weightloss and your lifestyle changes. I know its not the easiest but God will bless you. You know the saying you didnt put in all on in a day its not coming off in a day. Its hard I know. A few great playlists are a great help. Rewarding yourself with something after every so many pounds is great too. I bet your blogging about it will be of great helpl. I hope your family is supportive. I hate when a family member is a diet sabbatoger. < hows that spelled? Praying for your success on this journey, hope you will pray for mine too.

God bless